***WARNING This is NOT a fun post***
And it's not meant to complain about my job...but I handled a car accident tonight at work. Turned out to be a gruesome, horrible fatal accident. When my officer got there he was the first on scene for about 15 minutes, he was doing CPR on a guy who was ejected from his veh going about 90mph, the SUV the guy was driving rolled over the top of him, and then they guy landed in the woods...I'm sorry if that's graphic for you, but while my officer was doing CPR there's always hope that something will happen, but when the officer comes on the air and says "we've got a 10-54, slow the units" (10-54 means fatal), it is the absolute WORST feeling in your whole body. It's one of those things where you just kind of sit there and stare at the computer for a second while it sinks in, and the phones continue to ring, the radio continues to talk and I have to continue to do my job....sorry if I'm blabbing, I just can't find the words to explain how it feels....I joke about people dying on my shift (it happens almost daily for me), but it's different when someone dies of old age compared to when a 50 something year old dies in a brutal car accident...it's just different.
Anyway..just had to get that out of my system. Do me a favor and call your loved ones and tell them you love them. You never know when it may be your last....
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Enough is enough
Posted by Mel at 10:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
girl. i have chills. i'll hug my whole family. thanks. you drive safe!
Thats sad :(
You have to be awfully strong to do your job!
WOW! I always try to hug and say I love you to my family every time I see them for that same exact reason...you just never know when.
Post a Comment