As some of you know, I am a 911 dispatcher for a Sheriff's Office in MN. Yesterday and today I spent the entire day at training. Granted I'm not very old and haven't been to many training sessions, but this was by far the best training I have EVER been to. The woman who was presenting knew. her. shit. She made us look at things in ways we probably would never look at them, made us analyze things in ways we probably never would have, and made us realize our job is way more important than even we give ourselves credit for, much less the public. We spent yesterday and much of today listening to 911 calls of major events that happened in this county... Columbine...9/11...when an off duty Deputy from a tiny county in Wisconsin got mad at his ex-girlfriend and killed her and 5 others...and we also listened to many other tragic incidents you probably have not heard of. A woman called 911 after watching her boyfriend commit suicide by gun, to the head...a 17 year old boy who tried to commit suicide but only succeeded in blowing his jaw off and no one was home to help him so he had to call 911 and try and tell them where he lived....completely unreal calls that I hope I NEVER have to handle.
However, because of this class, I think that if I was faced with any of the above situations I would be SO much more prepared and at least have the basics down to help me with what would be the most difficult call in a 911 dispatcher's career.
She also had something she shared with us. It is a poem, written not by a dispatcher, but by a firefighter. A firefighter, much like a police officer, first responder, or an EMT, only hears one side of what we do - the "dispatching" on the radio. Telling them where to go, what the problem is, if the scene they are about to enter is safe, etc. To try and explain the everyday workings of a dispatcher would be almost impossible until you actually sit in a communication center. Not a scene most people get to see....so...here's the poem.......
Who Am I
I am the voice that clams the mother breathing life into her infant son.
I am the invisible hand that holds and comforts the elderly man who woke up and found his wife of 50 years had passed away during the night.
I am the friend who talks the disgruntled teenager out of ending her own life.
I sent help when you had your first automobile accident.
I am the one who tries to obtain the information from callers to ensure that the scene is safe for those I dispatch to emergencies- all the while anticipating the worst and hoping for the best.
I am the psychologist who readily adapts by language and tone of voice to serve the needs of my callers with compassion and understanding.
I am the ears that listen to the needs of all those I serve.
I have heard the screams of faceless people I will never meet nor forget.
I have cried at the atrocities of mankind and rejoiced at the miracles of life.
I was there, though unseen by my comrades in the field, during the most trying emergencies.
I have tried to visualize the scene to coincide with the voices I have heard.
I am usually not privy to the outcome of a call, and so I wonder...
I am the one who works weekends, strange shifts and holidays. Children do not say they want my job when they grow up. Yet, I am at this vocation by choice.
Those I help do not call back to say thank you.
Still, there is comfort in the challenge, integrity and the purpose of my employment.
I am thankful to provide such a meaningful service.
I am a mother, father, sister, brother, son or daughter.
I am here when you need me and still here when you don't.
My office is never empty, and the work here is never done. I am always on call. The training is strenuous, demanding and endless.
No two days at work are ever the same.
Who am I?
I am an emergency dispatcher and I am proud.
Please take the time to thank anyone you know in the field of emergency response. It is a thankless job, and they will go on doing their job without thanks, but one little "thank you" means the world to them.
**I didn't write this so I could get thank you's...after reading this again it kind of sounds that way...but i really just wanted to get you all thinking.**
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Something to think about...
Posted by Mel at 7:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
sweet - i've seen that before too. where the heck was your training? sounds awesome.
Thank-you for all you do!!
serious. i do know about a 911 dispatcher's job and i am thankful. thanks mel!!!
and you're right - meaningful! ;)
You know I have never thought of a Dispatcher that way and now I feel somewhat ashamed of myself.
You have one tough job and I am so thankful that you are there. I have had to call 911 a few times and the person on the other end has always been so helpful and understanding.
THANKS!!!!
Great post and its so true! I could never do what you do (or any type of first response, etc)
pretty deep...Im glad you put that out there... thanks
look at all your comments!!
looks like you are posting about as much as me lately. hahaha...i totally suck at updates!
that was a nice poem! Good job, girl!!
How sad is it that this is the most amount of comments I've EVER gotten...my blog content must totally suck!!!
Post a Comment