So here I am, at my "day job", bored out of my mind wishing it was May 29th. Why, you ask? Because that is my last day on the job at my "day job". :) As I sit here with a desk full of things to do, I can't help but think of how nice it will be to NOT have to come to work...every. single. day. for four hours a day, in the MIDDLE of the day 10am-2pm. Worst hours to work EVER. Can't sleep in, can't tan outside, can't "do lunch" with people...and I only have one week left of it:) That being said, I have a story to share with you all...
Yesterday as I was driving home from the "cities", I had nothing but time to kill. I woke up at 7am, got ready and left my aunt's house around 8am. Stopped and got gas in White Bear Lake (cheapest, coming in around $3.62...if that's cheap we're all screwed) And proceeded north. Stopped in a few towns to get their local papers so I could look for a place to rent for when I start my new job...didn't really find a whole lot of anything so I continued driving. Now, of the many times I've driven home from the cities, I guess I've never really paid attention to the billboards. Well one of them said "scenic route to d-town"....interesting, I say to myself, and take the exit...biggest mistake EVER. 64 mile drive, on a 2-lane highway, with a speed limit of 55mph. Verses a 64 mile drive, on a 4-lane freeway, with a speed limit of 70mph. But, I rationalized in my head that maybe there were some pretty sweet sights to see on this road...boy was I wrong...
As I'm driving along this road that was quite possibly built in 1903, I start to see signs for "cities" that I have never even heard of before..."cool" I think to myself again. Little do I know that these "cities" have been all but abandoned since like 1905. Honestly, there were old decrepit buildings that looked like saloons, like where people rode their horses in and tied them up outside and went in for a drink. There were dried up gas stations. Old barns, old "general stores" (really that's what it said on the outside of the building..."general store".) Kinda like driving through history, but really there was no history made there, just small communities literally in the middle of nowhere....anywho....so I'm driving along, bored out of my mind (no cell phone service AT ALL...annoying) and I have to pee. Great, I tell myself, I'll just stop at a gas station along the way...well seriously there was not ONE GAS STATION the whole trip!!! There were bars that I could have stopped at, but out in the middle of nowhere like that you never know what you'll be walking into if you walk into someone's "turf". People out in the sticks like that don't usually like "outsiders" so I continued on, hoping to GOD there would be a BP or Holiday or SA or SOMETHING....negative. So I'm driving, have to pee, have no cell service, and I have not seen ONE scenic thing to make the drive worth it. Until I see a sign that says "scenic overlook", well it didn't say "wayside rest"along with it so I wasn't going to stop. I drove by it though, and from what I could see through the trees it looks ABSOLUTELY beautiful, and I'm going to go back with one of my best girlfriends, Ashley, tonight and check it out and take pictures (they will be posted when I take them). So anyway...I keep driving and I end up in d-town. FINALLY. I'd never been so happy to be there. Stopped at a gas station and made my way home. I'm glad I took that "detour", because now I can say I've done it and I know about it, and I never have to do it again, ever.
And now that I've lost you and bored you to death..I'll end and maybe get some of this work done:) Maybe. Pictures to come, either tonight or tomorrow. Happy Thursday:)
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Scenic my butt
Posted by Mel at 12:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
gotta love those scenic routes. sometimes you take them on purpose. sometimes you don't :) can't wait to see your pics!
did you take 23?
sounds like a long boring drive.
i've had that "have to pee" problem before! at least you didn't have to find a tree to squat behind ;)
Post a Comment